One thing that really riles me up to bat shit crazy levels is child abuse. The world can be big huge ball of fecal matter and monsters but can we leave children the hell alone? Okay, I am ranting aren’t I? My apologies, I get so emotional about child abuse and today’s blog is about protecting our children from sexual abuse. I am now a parent and these things drive me to be a vicious mama bear because no-one wants any harm to befall their children. Children are precious, mostly vulnerable and as parents we need to be diligent about protecting them. The crazy thing is children are abused by the people we love and trust the most. Close relatives, friends and what not. So we need to be extra careful and watchful. I am going to list a number of things for us parents to go on that extra mile to secure our children’s safety. Although child abuse does not orbit around sexual abuse, there other forms of child abuse, mental, spiritual, emotional, physical; which are just as fatal. A blog for another day, today I am focusing on sexual abuse.
- Warn your Girl Child Never to sit on anyone’s laps no matter the situation including uncles.
- Avoid Getting Dressed in front of your child once he/she is 2 years old. Learn to excuse them or yourself.
- Never allow any adult refer to your child as ‘my wife’ or ‘my husband’
- When your child plays with friends make sure you find out what kind of games they play. Young people now sexually abuse themselves.
- Never force your child to visit any adult he/she is not comfortable with & be observant if your child becomes too fond of a particular adult.
- Once a very lively child suddenly becomes withdrawn you may need to patiently ask lots of questions from your child.
- Carefully educate your grown ups about the right values of sex . If you don’t, the society will teach them the wrong values.
- It is always advisable you go through any new Material like cartoons you just bought for them before they start seeing it themselves. Ensure you activate parental controls on your cable networks and advice your friends especially those your child(ren) visit(s) often.
- Teach your 3 year olds how to wash their private parts properly and warn them never to allow anyone touch those areas and that includes you.
- Blacklist some materials/associates you think could threaten the sanity of your child (this includes music, movies even friends/family). Once your child complains about a particular person, don’t keep quiet about it. Take up the case and show them you can defend them.
Remember, we are either parents or parents-to-be. Let’s protect our children and put an end to child abuse. Let’s protect our children at all costs! If you feel like adding more points, please be my guest. The comments section is all yours.